Wild Rice-Mushroom Soup

Who doesn't love soup! Especially on a chilly day! Though today may not be chilly, soup sounded good to me!
It took a little longer than I hoped but patience is the key with cooking I'm coming to learn!

I started off with putting the rice (I replaced wild rice with brown rice) and broth in to cook. While waiting on that I did all my prep for the rest of the ingredients. Then it was time to wait. After putting in the remaining ingredients (except for the dry sherry) I stirred it in and waited. All it said was to wait until it was thickened and bubbly. So I turned the temp up and waited for it to boil stirring occasionally. Once it started boiling I put the dry sherry in. I kept it boiling and let it cook for about 5 or so min. It was boiling and smelling delicious; but, it was super thin - not thick at all!
I talked to my mother in law and she suggested putting in what she calls a slurry which includes (flour (could use corn starch - any thickener) & liquid - we used water. Could use broth or any liquid). She went on to explain we could use a Roux (fat / grease and flour).
We used about 2 tbsp worth of slurry.
We kept stirring until it started thickening. It wasn't super thick but soup worthy thick. After stirring it a little longer while it kept boiling it seemed like it was finished!
Crossing fingers I dipped a spoon in and tasted my soup. It needed something...but I couldn't figure out what. Time for a second opinion. My mother in law tasted it and was immediately exclaiming how it needed salt and pepper. I agreed so I put in about a tsp of salt and a couple grates of pepper. (Remember my recipe is doubled). It definitely helped but it needed more! Just a tsp more of salt and one more taste. PERFECT!

So all that was added from the original recipe was 2 tbsps of slurry, 2 tsps of salt and two grated of pepper.

It tastes wonderful! Thank you Brenda Smith (mother in-law) for your help with this delumpcious soup!


Pregnant Cooking Mama,
Over and Out!



Comments

Popular Posts