Zucchini Enchiladas

This week I found a delicious looking recipe that grabbed my attention...Zucchini Enchiladas. I love enchiladas and grew very curious on how they tasted with the zucchinis. (Original recipe at bottom of post)

While shopping for the ingredients (I doubled the amounts) I decided I would get more for my money by buying chicken breasts vs rotisserie chicken. The thing is, rotisserie chicken comes cooked where as the chicken breasts I bought came raw. So I needed to cook them before doing anything else. The quickest way I know to cook chicken breasts is to broil them. After laying them in a row on the cooking sheet I seasoned them with salt, pepper, cumin and rotisserie chicken seasoning. Mind you I only seasoned one side then put them in to broil for 15 min.
While waiting on the chicken I started on the prep work.

With 2 min left to go I checked on the chicken to realize the tops were burning. I pulled them out, flipped them over, seasoned them then stuck them in for 12 min and continued prepping. They were done cooking 10 minutes in. Soft, moist, juicy and seasoned chicken breasts.

Instead of buying the expensive shredded cheese I bought a block of cheese and shredded it. Saved me a few bucks.

Thanks to my husband and brother in law things started moving quickly. I always appreciate help! My husband makes great food from scratch. He sees random things /scraps in the fridge and makes a full scrumptious meal.

Being pregnant the smallest amount of spiciness creates intense heartburn. The amount of cumin and chili powder called for made it WAY too spicy for me. So now with the help of my husband we're doing everything to kill the heat. We've added a can of chicken broth, a little more shredded chicken, a small amount of water and 2 cans of cream of mushroom. It didn't fully take the heat out but I'm hoping that it died it down enough that once its baked with the zucchinis and mixed with cheese and sour cream it'll calm the heat down enough to not cause me heart burn. Here's to hoping!

The grocery store didn't have any large zucchinis. Small to medium ones were my options. Due to this predicament we sliced them thin as instructed but we're layering them in the baking dish like a casserole. Bottom layer zucchini slices then the chicken mixture. Repeat until full, layering the top layer with zucchini.

Due to the enchilada sauce having a kick to it we didn't add the remaining sauce on top; but, we did add all the cheese.

After 25 min of cooking, the dish was ready! We let it sit and cool for about 30 min. After sitting down to eat this meal we tried our first bite. WOW the flavor was very powerful! We both loved it! Unfortunately it was extremely spicy and I couldn't handle it. I tried taking many bites with various routes (i.e - all ingredients, chicken, zucchini and sour cream, etc) but nothing worked. My stomach was not happy and gave me a lovely heart burn. My husband on the other hand loved it and the heat didnt bother him. I really believe if I wasn't pregnant I would have enjoyed this dish a lot more.



If I plan on doing this dish again I'm MAYBE going to use a very small pinch of the cumin and chili powder to give a touch of flavor; but, I'm mostly just going to use the red enchilada sauce.

Luckily others love it so it wasn't a waste. It really does have a wonderful flavor! Just wish the heat wouldn't have been there. Here's to learning my lesson on spices and moving forward!

Pregnant Cooking Mama,
Over and Out!
Retrieved Recipe below from here


Comments

Popular Posts